dont go to jiffy lube!

Well, this is why I do my own work too, as often as I can, though I didn't
view the video. I'm assuming I know what happened, maybe I'm wrong. If I'd
have paid someone to do all the stuff that needed doing on my 16V, I'd have
needed to sell it, and to be honest, I think its early trips to the dealer
caused more problems than they solved. I have about two "pros" that I'd
trust around my cars, one happens to be a pretty hardcore dieselhead, the
other's an Audi owner himself. As for the female thing, I find it's more of
a problem at the parts counter, heaven forbid I should tell them that what
they handed me is wrong. And like I could take that grafted foolishness
under Klaus' hood anywhere and expect a normal mortal to figure out what
came from where anyway!

But on another note, I see "the other side" of it. Guidance channels the
kids that can't do academics down into the tech wing, and when they're not,
umm, how shall I say, ummm, "under the weather" or skipping, they may get a
credit or two, and head off to college. Not all of them are dolts, but
there are sure enough of them that are, and unfortunately, many of the
brighter kids are not encouraged to enter skilled trades, which is a real
shame. And to do a skilled trade well these days, you need to be good with
wrenches, electronics and problem solving. So that narrows down the ones
that can cut it as a mechanic, but it doesn't stop some bad ones from
trying. Not to mention you have to be able to actually work very hard to
earn a living at it. WORK is a four letter word eh?
Then there are the Jiffy Lube guys, who you can bet did not get a trade. I
can imagine the pay scale there attracts the very best of the best. Now
don't be flaming me here, there are lots of very bright mechanics, my own
brother being one of them, and I'm sure that most Jiffy Lube oil changes go
as they should. Negative double digit temps are the only thing that would
have me handing my keys over for an oil change, and even then, I prefer to
fire up the heater and do my own. The next few promise to be ugly though,
the bug needs an O ring on the oil cooler, and Klaus has a spiffy new oil
pump sitting here in a box...
Cathy