NEED HELP ASAP! - calling all VR6 gurus

Allyn,

I have a '97 Jetta with a VR6.  It will definitely run in a limp mode
with no MAF, I have seen mine do it with the MAF unplugged.  Likely it
is the crank position sensor?  There isn't much besides that that would
cause no spark.  When those coil packs fail (I have seen it way too many
times on my car for my taste) usually just one fails so you run on four
cylinders, or four strong and two misfiring.  Your check engine light
will come on if there is no crank position sensor signal after something
like 5 seconds of cranking.  See if you can read the code and verify
that's the problem.  It's not too bad to change if I recall.  Like the
other guys said of course make sure that big twist lock connector and
all other affected connectors are tight.  The ECU manages spark from the
crank position sensor during starting, none of the mixture, etc sensors
affect it.

Sorry if this is too late to help!

John K. Gates
--