  From: Tonee Northam [mailto:pb3vr6@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2007 9:24 PM
To: Mark Bednarz; Allyn; 'Scirocco List'
Subject: Re: Al's Passat Adventure / WTB: Passat parts

That's the electronic aux water pump, very easy to replace. If you need help give me a call.

Mark Bednarz <vwsportruck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:   Hi Allyn,

That waterpump making the noise (from your Vortex post) will need to be replaced right away. It's a secondary water pump to run when the engine is off so it'll still cool down, but they will split right in half and then you're stuck unless you've got parts to bypass with you on-hand. It happened on my '93, so I'm somewhat familiar with it.

-=Mark
'80 Scirocco
'81 Rabbit Sportruck
'00 Dasher Estate

Allyn wrote:
Wellll,

Thursday started out with a flight to Harrisburg, PA. After repeated delays I eventually arrive. Get picked up in the MK3 Black
GTI (from the waterfest 5 gens of GTI pic). Waste 3 hours at PENNDOT only to figure out that they cant issue a temp tag (WTF?). We
have to do that at the local AAA. Get to house, see car, load trunk with spare parts, whip up bill of sale, shake hands, and I'm on
my way to Pittsburgh, to my cousins house. CEL comes on in heavy rain the last few mins of the trip, along with the coolant sensor
(temp normal), but no running issues.

Friday morning. Check the car out. Try to start. Cranks but no joy. Remove coil pack. Check for cracks (none). Throw in the
oven at 190F for an hour while running into town for a multimeter (they have only house tools). Get back, hook up coil pack. Get
some calls from local dubbers who responded to my help thread on vortex. Armond feeds me the coil pack pinout, enabling me to
manually trigger it (I'll restage and post a pic later on of how I did this for those that asked how). Coil pack verified working.
Now im totally clueless as to the problem. Make some more calls to local dubbers. Reamining likely candidates are crank or cam
position sensor, or ECU (ugh). Armond and I meet up in town. We blast down to Bobs VW shop in Armonds purdy *new* red 16v (from 2
cincys ago). Grab sensors off of a trash VR6 (timing chain let go). Head back to my cousins, parts in hand. Armond busts out a
bunch of goodies, including a VAGCOM. We throw the crank sensor on and VROOM. Good to go. VAGCOM shows some things to look for
during the tear down (once I get it home). Armond spots me his Bentley in case the trip south goes, well, south.

Saturday morning. Early start. Starts extremely hard for some odd reason, which I later learn was the #2 plug wire was loose
(later fell off). Other than occasional stops to check coolant level (pin hole leak from one of the lines), trip home is smooth
sailing. Went ~750 miles in ~11 hours. Damn those VR's are torquey. I swear 80-100 in 5th takes 3-4 secs.

Whew, crazy weekend. Went through car today to figure out what it needs. WTB post on the tex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3351437
Please check out that post and lemme know if you know of any alternate methods to fix some of those issues (specifically the dvr
side window and rear trunk lock).

Now to prepare for the tear down (needs timing chain). Calling in huge order to potterman once I figure out exactly what else I
need to order.

Al