Loss of "fast" question

Yeah, I know temp and density matter, my own car thought it was -40C at the
air intake, and that's why HE was parked. (I'd damaged the IAT sensor, got
a whopping 22 mpg on the way home) 140F on the track, and 100%RH, according
to the track printout. But I've been getting in the 16V and feeling that it
was way too slow the last few times.
Anyway, I'm really pissed off, I replaced the cap and rotor, and had
labelled the wire order on the dust shield, then clipped the cap in
thinking that the order was either right or off by 180*. BAD IDEA. Two
sharp cracks as I turned her over (as loud, but not quite right for a
backfire) and my new cap is toast, blasted a nice big hunk out of the
centre pin. And who knows what else. I figured the worst case scenario was
a no start. Shows what I know. We'll see where else those many electrons
went to play I guess. And of course I either wait three days for the local
place to get another cap or drive an hour to the city to get one. Again.
Like fuck. Anyway, she runs worse now.
cathy