Rear wheel bearing issues

The car is unrepairable, ebay it next to Allyn's watch.

Nate Mellom <doubt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  All,
I took to replacing the rear wheel bearings on my (*) yesterday. I
installed 2 complete kits: inner and outer bearings, inner and outer
races, grease seals, axle nut retainers and cotter keys. Packed the
bearings with Lucas grease, cleaned and lubed all parts, packed the
bearings tight. Problem is, I'm getting axial play in both rear wheels.
I tightened the nuts to spec (every book I looked in called for just
enough torque to be able to push the retaining washer with a
screwdriver, or 7.5 lb/ft). The axle stubs are in perfect condition, no
unusual wear or scoring. If I tighten the axle nut enough to get the
play out, the wheel barely turns 1/8 revolution on its own power. I'm
reluctant to tighten them up too much. Is there inherent slop in rear
wheel bearings? Should I repack the bearings, maybe there's some air
space in them? They were loose last night, I drove it to work today and
rechecked (40 highway miles on them), still play.

Thanks,
Nate

(*) could be any A1/A2/A3 rear disk brake equipped VW. Not ready for an
announcement yet.