OT: AC on a Jeep. Peter?

I know Jeep's aren't "supposed" to have AC, but mine does, and it does not work.  I'd really like it to work though, as it's my daily right now and driving around with the windows down is punishing with the wind on your face.  (not like the Rocco- I love having the windows down at 75 and hardly any buffeting!) I have a pressure gauge, and I hooked it up, planning to recharge the system- as the condenser comes on but no cool.  The larger of the two fittings is the low side, correct? -Like, the side you charge from?  The adapter for the pressure gauge/filler hose only fit on this fitting so it must have been the correct side.  Anyway, before I tapped the can, I checked pressures and noticed something strange.  The compressor would kick on, the pressure would rise up to the "alert" zone on the gauge- something like 45 psi or so, then the compressor would shut off until it was in the "fill" zone on the gauge, then it would cycle back on, and so-fourth.  I would guess the
 compressor would only be on about 5-7 seconds before it kicks back off.  Here's some other observations:

The line going from the compressor to the condenser is hot.  The line coming out of the condenser is cold- that line goes to the evaporator, and the line coming out of the evap. feels neither hot or cold-  so could there be a clog in the evap?  I'm thinking the pressure builds and the high pressure switch on the compressor senses too high and shuts off.  No flow of gas through the evap means that there is no cooling effect.  Is this possible and how in the world would I fix it?  What else could the problem be?

Thanks for any input you folks might have.

Brendan

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/