From: Tonee Northam [mailto: pb3vr6@yahoo.com]
To: haygood@myway.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:09:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Building a Racer to beat a Honda CRX - Options?

  Learning to fly really has paid off hasn't it?

  I don't use a pyro meter but I adjust my tire pressure after ever run and use chalk on the side walls to see when or if I need to add/remove air.

Brian Haygood wrote:

Yes, everyone is on track with the power mods. How about suspension? What class are we talking about here?

Things that come to mind (from a guy who hasn't really competed hard in a Scirocco, but I've prepped other types for race):

Use the lightest wheels you can afford with the best tires you can afford

Lower the snot out of it, do whatever strut tower or strut mods you can to give you more compression (bump) travel, then choose springs that will keep you from bottoming out anywhere on the track. Use sway bars to stiffen
further and to adjust over/understeer balance to your liking.

Lighten it well beyond what the class minimum weight restriction is by cutting things off mercilessly. Add steel or lead to the car to bring it back up to weight. Removing steel all over the car and then putting the weight back where you want it is the idea. Centralize the weight and lower it as much as possible. Mount the weights below the car at or near the C.G.

Note: I once saw a car with barbell ends welded in to the corners of the trunk so he could adjust weight balance front to rear and left to right to balance the car. This is a lousy idea. Mount the weight under the car instead of inside the trunk to lower C.G. Centralize the weight close to the C.G. - the balancing he was doing is better achieved with suspension height adjustments (i.e. coilovers or shims under springs).

Get an infrared pyrometer and measure tire temps after every run and use them to set
your camber and tire pressures. This is easy to do, but was hardly done by anyone when I was Autox'ing.

BH