Building a Racer to beat a Honda CRX - Options?

After doing some nosing around, it seems the class that a mk1 (or mk2) roc
would end up in at the local track is dominated by 90s Honda CRX's with the
1.5L 16V engines.

They seem to be putting out about 108-110 HP with legal mods and weigh in
around 2000 Lbs.  Internet lists the torque from the factory at 90 Ft-lbs
at 4500 RPM.

The local track is short and full of corners. It is far from a high speed
track, there is only one real straight section and it is not that long.  So
a quick point and shoot style setup seems to be the way to go.

I figured a high torque car would be better than a masive HP beast.  So the
question remains, can a Roc be designed to out class the 0.06 HP/Lbs crx?

Class is limited to 1750cc, so the 1.7L from a mk1 or early mk2 works
great.  BUT: the 75HP it comes with stock might get bumped to 80 with legal
mods (still invstigating) and the curb weight for a mk1 roc is around 2000
Lbs as well is it not?

That puts the roc at only 0.04 HP/Lbs, what I am hoping for is to get a
whole lot more torque out of the engine to pull out of the corners.

Just looking for ideas :)

Cory