OT: Sending digital images question

Okay, this is making me nuts. I have a digital image, which I've resampled
from 10Mpixels to something smaller, like 85K. It looks fine when I view it
on Corel Photo-paint, and let's say for shits and giggles that when I zoom
in I can see 64 little squares of colour making up thhe one area of the
person's cheek. When I go to send this (in gmail) and view what I've sent,
it has one square of colour where those 64 were.

Like, I think it should be 200 by 400ish squares, and it's sending as 30 by
60 or so. Which really kills the details. I can't send it full sized due to
time out problems, and the whole concept of wanting to send it this
calendar year (dialup), so is it something I'm doing wrong with the
resampling, or something set wrong somewhere else? I have no clue about the
settings in my email or IE, so speak slowly, 'k?
Cathy