OT: Apple

> I haven't looke dinto the Mac TV applience yet, but from what
> your saying, it's nothing like the HTPC's coming out from the
> OEM's currently.
>
> William S.

> > What I'm disappointed about is Apple TV.  Apple is shooting
> themselves
> > in the foot by not offering a better media center computer.
>  Microsoft
> > and the PC makers have caught the hint.  Anyone who has ever used
> > Apple's FrontRow software, though, can tell you how
> oblivious they are
> > to this extremely valuable market.

That market (DVR) is already dominated by other companies.  Apple is going for having all of your content / movies / etc owned via
itunes.  They had been doing so before the appleTV was announced, and to add DVR functionality to any of their devices would
undermine all of their improvements to itunes for the last year.  Also keep in mind they are going for the 'it just works' mantra
with their products.  I doubt even apple could create a DVR, compatible with all types of cable / satellite companies, that 'just
worked' as easily as getting that content from itunes and having it available on every imac / appletv / iphone in your house.  Sure
the latter involves purchaing the content from itunes, but that's the whole idea (they are a business, after all).

Disclaimer - I've spent nearly my entire life on pc's, and I do not yet own any apple gear, but I know a kick-ass idea when I see
one, and for the last few years, apple has been busting at the seams with them.

Al