[OT] Shopping for a new ride, opinions?

Hi Nate,

  I don't know where you're located, but saw this craigslist ad for a NH car:

  http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/car/259415467.html

  -=Mark
  '80 Scirocco
  '81 Rabbit Sportruck
  '00 Dasher Estate

Nate Mellom <doubt@inwave.com> wrote:
  I'm sorta kinda in the market for a new(er) car. I've been
contemplating the decision for a while now, since my son was born (Dec
05). It pretty much comes down to the fact that I'm sick of driving
$500 cars for primary transportation (my '81 and my Quantum I picked up
for $500/ea, my '88 16v for $800). I'm looking to probably replace the
'81 and the QSW with something newer, keeping the '88 as my 'fun' car.
The '81 is very rusty, especially underneath where all the important
bits are, but it runs great. Eventually I'll get myself a nice Mk1 (I'm
partial to 'em, actually). The QSW is a good car, rare, and in fairly
good shape, but it got rear-ended a while back, and I never got anything
out of the lady that hit me. I don't have the time, money, or energy to
put into it right now, and it's my current winter car. Still drivable,
but I'd like something newer, more reliable, maybe with working A/C,
etc, etc, etc.
I've been contemplating options. I'm looking for something in the
$4000-$5000 range (I'm on a pretty tight budget, but if we get a nice
tax return that'll help tremendously). Late '90s, early 2000's. I'm
looking for 4 (or 5) doors (wagons are on the list), it MUST be a
manual, as I refuse to own an automatic. It'll be my daily driver,
primary transportation, and it must be able to haul a kid in a car seat,
me, my wife, and stuff. Preferably European, I haven't had much
experience with Japanese or American cars for a LOOOOONG time, and as
such, I own mostly metric tools. Most other options are open at this
point.
Cars I've been pondering:

VW:
B3/B4/B5 Passat. I'm open to the TDI, but I'd prefer gas (VR6, V6, 1.8t)
Jetta. Preferably something a little sportier (GLX, GLI, Wolfie)

Audi:
A4/A6. I'd love quattro, but unless I can shop older, I think it'll be
priced out of my budget.

Volvo:
850. I drove an 850 Turbo Wagon, VERY nice car, quick, with all the
cool Volvo creature comforts. It was an automatic, unfortunately.

Subaru:
Legacy. Always liked 'em, and I do like the idea of AWD.
Impreza. Same as the Legacy, but I think it'll be a little small.

I haven't given much thought to anything else, but since I'm in the
beginning stages of shopping, I'm open to options. Looking for
recommendations, positives, negatives, BTDT's, and of course, if anyone
has anything for sale, let me know.

Thanks,
Nate