Removing the Crank Bolt.

On 12/31/06, Don Walter <dswalterwi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Trying to remove the crank bolt from a 1.8L 16V engine.  It is a Hex head
> bolt style so it is not the stretch bolt kind.  Trying to get it loose
> without an impact (don't have one).  The hex style is put on with 111 ft
> lbs
> and usually is impacted on even more.  We had a sears wrench wedged on the
> flywheel side but it bent under pressure.  We had also tried a board
> wedged
> on the crank but it started to crush it and I don't feel comfortable as to
> where to apply the board.  Any pictures of others attempts?  Or other
> idea?
> Any one have how a service manual states to hold the crank from spinning?

Sounds like the engine is out of the car...  Best thing is to pop the pan
(if it isn't already) and drop a 2x4 in between a crank throw and the
block.   Use a deadblow or rubber mallet to whack the end of the wrench
you're using to turn the bolt out to help jar the bolt loose.

There is a tool to lock the flywheel in place - it is a pin that goes
through one of the gearbox mounting holes in the block, then has a
semi-circular cut-out in the face to engage the flywheel teeth - it's
pictured in the clutch section of the Bentley.  You can also use stiff wire
hooked over a flywheel bolt and through a mounting hole in the engine block,
which is what I did before I had the VW special tool.

Drew

--
84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD mit ?berVerteilerpumpe
http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd