My hatch glass removal process

Would you add or delete anything to the process shown below if it was an
MKII?

-----Original Message-----
From: Gordy Stedman [mailto:ydrogs@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:03 PM
To: Rick Kellner; Scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: My hatch glass removal process

Kind of along the lines of Rob's technique, the way I got the last one
out of a MK1 that worked for me was to start as close to one of the
lower corners and use your fingers to push the edge of the seal under
the lip of the frame.  It is tough on the fingers and kind of a bitch
but keep going.  Work your way up and around to the other lower corner.
I have had bad experiences using screwdrivers and catching them on the
glass so I do not use them.  Now go back and gently push on the folded
seal towards the outside of the car.  Keep working back and forth.  You
will see the window and seal start to come out.  I also have found that
pushing on the glass itself especially around the corners can cause
enough stress to crack it.  Once the top of the seal is out and clearing
the frame put one hand on the inside of the glass and press your other
hand against it from the outside and try and get the window and seal to
slide up.  If you have the dash out then you can pry the rest of the
seal over to loosen it even more.  If you plan on replacing the seal
then just use a utility knife and cut the window out, so much easier and
almost guarantees it will not break.  Be prepared to deal with previous
owners trying to reseal the windshield with silicone or other type of
sealants which might hinder the extraction.  I have had the best success
installing windshields with the string technique.  If you are going to
use the trim strip remember to place it into the seal before installing.
I also have cracked a windshield by laying it down on the convexed side
so I now store and carry them in the vertical position.