differential took a poop

As Daun said, if theres no hole then it might be a CV, OR a clutch that went bad. If its slipping, its just a clutch. Under $200 with all the new bushings, cluch disk and pressure plate. An easy fix.
The transaxle is dependant on 8 or 16v. 4 k (8v) is the short ratio, and the FF is the long. Each has different rpm rates between needing to shift. A 2Y is a good one for the 16v.
Now.... What is going on with the car that makes you think you killed a transaxle?