From: Dan Bubb <jdbubb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:19:12 AM
Subject: OT: Audi A4, was Re: Turbo Scirocco

I don't know how it got stuck open.
All I know is the car had a crack in the exhaust flex joint. 4 days to get that off due to rusted bolts and inaccessible flanges and reinstall the stock exhaust while waiting for a new downpipe from Borla.
Immediately after fixing that the front pipe of the cat cracked and pulled out of it's flange. Another day to remove, weld and reinstall.
Immediately after fixing that the turbo would overboost and the engine management would cut fuel killing the engine.
It seemed to be the wastegate after some trouble shooting. Remove the entire front end of the car to get access and indeed the wastegate won't open with compressed air applied. I guess somehow the wastegate got locked by driving the car 40 miles with essentially an open exhaust.
Carefully tap the wastegate lever and it frees up. Wastegate actuates with compressed air. Reassemble the entire front end of the car, test drive and NO boost.
Remove turbo. 2 hours of work despite already having practiced most of the steps required several times! ;^)
Wastegate valve is stuck open. It's not like I hammered on it! At this point I think the wastegate diaphragm is fubared but have no clue why.
I don't see much cause and effect amongst all the failures. I think the car is just pissy since it hasn't had any attention for a couple months.
Bigmac was kind enough to give me his spare K03 turbo so I'm hoping I'll have it reassembled tonight after yet one more trip to the dealer to replace gaskets, busted bolts and loose self locking nuts. Big thumbup to Brian!
Anybody that bitches about working on a Scirocco hasn't worked on an Audi A4!
Whew! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

Dan