Bridge Collapse

> "Part of their popularity comes from the fact that scientists and
> engineers have a much higher status in France than in America. Many high
> ranking civil servants and government officials trained as scientists
> and engineers (rather than lawyers, as in the United States)..."

Hahaha! Meanwhile, Bush is doing everything he can to contradict, discredit, or simply censor the scientists in the US...how funny.

For the record, I don't think science should be a D-v-R thing, and historically I think it mostly hasn't been. The only reason it has been lately is due to the religious fundamentalist  elements entering under the general banner of "conservatism" and gaining considerable power in the Republican party. Personally, if the Republicans were more like McCain and Schwartzenegger,  I might be able to re-claim my ability to proudly consider myself undecided/independent. Unfortunately, they're a minority these days in the Republican party. :-(

Neal
socially liberal, fiscally conservative...nobody wants me in their club :-(