From: Daun Yeagley [mailto:vwdaun@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 10:46 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: What an awesome junkyard!!! (Stuff FS)

So I get a call a few weeks ago from fellow lister Behrle
Hubbuch.  It seems as though he's found a junkyard out in
the boonies of western Ohio that is 90% VW.  And we're
talking older VW.  Like rows of Beetles, a few Karmann
Ghias, Busses, Rabbits EVERYWHERE...   and a few Sciroccos
to boot.  Friggin' ubelievable.  I took a couple pics, but
only really encompasses maybe a tenth of what this place
had.  The newest thing there was probably mid-late '80s
vintage.  And for all intents & purposes, looked to be
abandoned.

Well, Behrle did find a working phone number for the owner
who agreed to let us come scrounging today.  So we took
Behrle's Cabby and Brad's S-10 to the yard this afternoon.

There were 7-8 Mk 1s out there rotting away, (and I do mean
ROTTING away) and only one was newer than '78. Three Mk 2s
as well, including one fairly intact '84.  We didn't
concentrate on Mk 2 stuff though, we were after Mk 1 bits.
Now I must say, a LOT of stuff on these cars were gone /
rotted beyond usability or what have you, but we DID score
three Mk 1 windshields available for pickup at Cincy.  (One
even has a cool old-skool "Scirocco" banner across the
top.)  Plus an early set of headlight buckets / turn
lenses.  The lime green '77 was probably the coolest find,
it still had the chrome bumpers attached.  (Note, HAD -
though I may keep these for a pending arrival - another
'77.)  It also had a complete set of the plaid seats that
had they been remotely worth saving we would have
scrounged.  I'd still like to get back for one dash that
only had a couple cracks and could be worth something.  The
only reason we didn't grab it was we couldn't open the
driver's door due to a Jetta mashed against the side of the
Scirocco.

So far this is the stuff we're pretty sure we're selling:

-all three windshields - $100 ea.
-early headlight buckets / turn lenses - $50 for the pair.
-early-style door cards *without* speaker cutouts.  (They
need some cleanup, not sure what those will go for yet.)
-early-style dash bezel, silver, complete with 100 mph
speedo and the uber-rare 3-bar slider / heat control head.
(this is the one that had three sliders that go all the way
across, rather than the later "two up-top, one on bottom."
- $40.
-early triangular-style turn signal / wiper stalks - $10.

I will not ship windshields, but I could be talked into
delivery within a state or two range if not picked up at
Cincy.  :)  All prices subject to negotiation!!!

Oh and a side note?  This guy supposedly has another yard
similar to this one.  And his dad mentioned having a couple
barnfuls of stuff.  Who knows, we might try this again
someday, despite their not being the most friendly people
to deal with.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S (Deiter)       '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!)  '88 Scirocco 16v
'96 Passat GLX Wagon          '56 Cessna 172
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts - Ehrlich's
Law.