New Scirocco Idealized

Hi List,
    OK, here's my .02 worth on the Scirocco III thread (lurkers, please feel
free to respond).
    I want a crossbreed; Italian design, German engineering (and build),
English simplicity.

    Thus: copy Fiat's lead and take an existing front-drive powertrain,
shove it behind a bulkhead behind ONLY two passengers (Fiat x-1/9). Design a
low, sleek, crisp body to put it in (Italians do design best, hands down.
Engineering and reliability no, but design, big yep), one big trunk in the
front and a pizza oven in the back (hmm... 1976 Lancia Scorpion, which looks
front-engined but isn't).
    Drivetrain is basic VW; either VR6 or 1.8T, whichever is higher output
for weight. And damnit have some decent cutout pistons cast so it's not an
interference engine... hate 'em hate 'em. Bad engineering judgement.
    Next follow the lead of Sir Colin Chapman of Lotus, "Simplify, then add
lightness" (consider the Lotus Elan, Mk1. That's about 1967 to 1972 -ish).
No power anything, no A/C, no frills or excessive comfort.
    End result in today's world, as long as the accountant's don't f--k, I
mean mess it up: about 1700 pounds of mid-engine pretty smooth car that'll
embarass the hell out of anything up to 5 times what it costs.
    Just a thought.

Karl