From: Brian Haygood [mailto:brianhaygood@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2007 11:38 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: 16v valve lifters

I've got two 16v's that have sat for a while.  They both have ticking noises
coming from the top end.  One sounds like its from the exhaust side of #1,
and the other from ex side of #4.  I thought the first was due to localized
overheating - the water level got low.  The other was fine - just sat up for
a while.

Anyway - now I read in the Bentley that lifters have to be stored upside
down.  Obviously none of these have been.  They have been installed under
camshafts, if that makes a difference.  I have a spare 2.0l head that has
been stored upright for years. I was going to pull the lifters, but now I'm
thinking that they will have been drained dry or something.

How do I renew these lifters so that I can use them?
How do I maintain the lifters that are already in there so that no more of
them go bad?
I'm ready to run these cars as soon as this is fixed, so there won't be long
term storage issues after this.

Am I on the right track?

Please tell me all you know about lifters.

Brian