Valve Adjustment Tool / Shim source?

Hi Daun,
    Here's the lever (=VW 2078):

http://www.toolsource.com/ost/product.asp?sourceid=google&dept%5Fid=500&pf%5Fid=58842&mscssid=787W7XF35NFQ9KHF29WU358FC9500439

    And the pliers (VW 10-208):

http://buy.equipmentsolutions.com/eqs_va/Net/ItemDetail.aspx?PartNo=10-208A&qty=1&Desc=PLIERS&ListPrice=%2464.32&itemQty=10&group_id=2&group_name=1&cat_ID=&cat_name=&sub_cat_ID=&sub_cat_name=&item_id=10

    Pliers are dealer, and spendy ($64), but I think (IIRC) you can extract
the shim using compressed air. Carefully put nozzle into the gap where the
pliers would fit, gently jet air, the air will break the oil seal and the
shim will pop out. Or you might be able to find some cheap calipers that
could be adapted to act as pliers to straddle the cam.
    I never did this one; never found out of spec and when I had any head
work done the readjust was done by the machine shop as part of the process.
    I do remember some crusty VW mechanic telling me the valves must be set
COLD, meaning at least 4-5 hours after the engine was last running.

Karl