Suspension question

I am not sure on what procedure is suggested, but every strut insert I have
every used needed the cap on top.

The only thing I can say about the alignment, is if the strut cart is not
exactly the same size as the strut body (usually not as you have some oil,
or other cooling method there) if the strut insert were to actually pull up
a little and back down again, it could sit differently in the strut hosing
and affect your camber.  Variable camber is not that great of an idea :)

I have never seen a strut assembly with out the cap on it, so I am not sure
of others run it this way and it works fine.  My first thought on it were,
that as the car does lift the front end, and come down again, if the strut
insert is able to move, are you damaging the bottom of the strut insert,
and could you end up with a leaking/blown strut insert because of it?

Cory