MKII Jetta with a 6 speed tranny???

Mark Bednarz wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I know there used to be a conversion kit you could buy to turn a 5spd
> into a 6spd for A1/A2 cars so it's completely possible that this is
> what is in there. I forget who made it, but I remember seeing it from
> one of the tuners in European Car - they even had an article about it
> if I remember correctly (it goes back a few years).
>
> -=Mark '80 Scirocco '81 Rabbit Sportruck '00 Dasher Estate
>
> David Brown <sharpshooter33@roadrunner.com> wrote: Hey I looked at a
> 87 Jetta GLI today. It looked like it used to be a 16v, but is now an
> 8v. The owner claimed it was a 6speed. Very rare? It did shift 6, but
> the car wasn't running so I couldn't really check it out.
>
> Has anyone heard of a 6speed MKII?
>
> Thanks David

I contacted Vince Locicero from VL Enterprises of Option-6 fame in 2004.
  The price of the uninstalled 6-speed conversion kit (customer supplies
the top gear) was about that of a Quaife or Peloquin LSD.  For a fully
converted transaxle, it was about US$1800.

At the time he said he was going to improve his design within the
following year, I have not heard news on any new kits.  Funny the old
website is still up, <http://www.spiretech.com/~vw6spd/kit.html> but it
is not mentioned anywhere that I could find on his new online shop
<http://www.qualityvwparts.com/>

An old write up can be found thusly:
<http://www.divergent.org/mikes.vws/VLE/>

Peter had an Option-6 tranny for sale recently, did it ever sell?

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
    '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L