OT: USB adapters for PCMCIA slots

Sorry, I am VERY frustrated. I CANNOT USE MY EXISTING USB PORT TO POWER IT.
That is the whole point, it is NOT that I want more USB ports, it is that I
NEED a single one that works reliably. The one on my computer does not work
well, will require a motherboard to fix, on a computer that is not worth
fixing. And I do not want to buy a new computer, this one meets my needs
nicely otherwise.
That device looks cool, but it runs off a USB port. Yeah, so I have this
new adapter sending power to devices now, but it isn't detecting files from
the externals hooked up to it. It installed correctly, the wizard picked it
up, and it's there in device manager, it's just not reading a damned thing.
It's okay. I cannot expect anything to work. Evar. Of course now I've
hacked the cord so I cannot even return it.
Cathy