From: T Berk [mailto:bayareaberk@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 2:59 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Acid Bath

--- "William Yeckel (Lexmark International)"
<b-wiyeck@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello folks I just bought a 1980 S again after not
> owning a rocco for
> 13! Years.  But, as is the case for most VWs this
> age it has rust all
> over the frickin place.  What I would really love to
> do is take the
> whole thing apart and give the body an acid bath,
> does anyone know how
> much something like that costs?  Is it a ton of
> work?
>

> Thanks
> -Bill

Dohnnnnn do it my friend.

I suggest the following:

- Acid Baths work well with heavy duty, stand alone
objects.

- Your Uni-body constructed Scirocco has many, many
nooks and crannies to trap the acid solution leading
to trouble in the future.

- Folks have done (well) 'well' with media blasting,
self etching primer type products, and <gasp> cutting
and welding. <shudder>

I like the borate yourself solution, again rinsing and
coating the exposed metal is a thing to attend to.

(Wouldn't it have been great to have had all the
panels hot dipped in zinc prior to assembly at the
factory?)

hth,
TBerk