OT: Home Theater advice

Wondering if anyone on the list knew much about home theater systems.
I am looking for a receiver but am having trouble finding exactly what
I need.  My system is set up such that I have an intel iMac outputting
DVI digital video to a projector.  Currently it's also putting out
optical digital audio to our old DVD changer which then powers the 5
speakers and sub.  Because the iMac is now the sole input (we may keep
the DVD player around, but the computer plays DVDs, ripped DVDs, CDs
and digital audio - and I dont anticipate adding phono or tape or
anything) I want to find a new high end receiver that will just decode
the digital source (including Dolby and such - I'm actually not sure
what the iMac supports but I'm assuming it will at least do Dolby
surround) and power our speakers.  I also plan on replacing the
speakers (they were bought as a "package" with the DVD changer) so
they're not a factor in choosing the receiver.

Unfortunately the problem I'm running into is that everything
mainstream high end that would fit our purpose nicely is designed for
lots of inputs - which is the opposite of what I need.  I'd really
like to go with something rather high end, but I don't know enough
about that market.  Does anyone happen to know how I should go about
setting this up or where I might go for more advice?  I've tried
looking for high end audio shops around, but haven't had much luck
(surprising considering I'm near DC and Baltimore...)

Thanks!

-Grant-