OT: Garage wiring GFCI question

Okay, I'm hoping to get the juice turned on shortly, and that means the
inspector needs to look at stuff, so it probably should at least be
working. I've read and reread the code book, and recieved advice from a few
people who know what they're doing on this stuff, but I still have one
stubborn branch of one circuit that just will not co-operate. It's the tail
end of a fairly simple circuit, and everything on the fuse box (line) side
of the GFCI outlet is working as expected, but the GFCI outlet and
everything fed from it will not light up, nor will the outlet itself. All
that's on the load side of the GFCI is an indoor outlet, and outdoor
outlet, an outdoor light and a switch for that light. If I bypass the
offending outlet, the stuff downhill works just fine, and I've already
tried a second GFCI outlet, carefully wired with all the line/load wires in
the right spot. My other GFCI outlet on a more complex circuit is working
fine, so I'm pretty sure I can wire them properly. But obviously
something's screwy, like maybe a real ground fault. (I tried the reset
button too, so it's not that either...) So what should I be looking for?
You can reply off list.

Cathy, ready to stop mumbling around in the dark :)