Stumbling/hesitation problem...

Does it have gas in it?

-----Original Message-----
From: "Mark F." <mk1mark@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:51:19
To:"Scirocco List" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject: Stumbling/hesitation problem...

Hi guys,

First off the car is an 82 8v ABA/JH, w/ knock sensing ignition
swapped in.  I'm having a stumble/hesitation/bogging problem that is
proving difficult to track down.  When I first fire it up it'll run
fine for about 10 seconds, but then I have to give it gas to keep it
running at idle.  When I accelerate it stumbles bigtime, but it revs
to redline (feeling smoother as the revs climb), but it's definitely
down on power.  It's very hard to launch from first gear, and stumbles
the most when gently accelerating.  If I mash the throttle it'll run
smoother, but still misses a bit.  I'm assuming it's a spark issue
since it also backfires on deceleration and I can smell unburned fuel
when idling/taking off...

I changed the fuel filter, rotor and cap, coil, plugs and wires.  It
ran fine for a day after I changed the plugs and wires, but the next
day ran like crap again.  I thought it might be a weak coil, since the
new plugs seemed to fix the problem when fresh, but I swapped in a
known good coil and still have the same issue...  The one thing I
haven't swapped is the coil to distributor wire (since I don't have
another lying around).  I'll try to find one at my buddies shop
tomorrow to try.

Any ideas what else might be wrong?  I'm pretty confident the knock
sensing ignition swap isn't the problem - I did a nice job splicing it
in.  It feels to me like the spark is too weak.  This car has had
numberous wiring maladies, so I might try wiring the coil directly to
the battery (fused) and see if that helps...

Thanks,

Mark.
75
82