head to firewall ground strap

It links the head to the coil like you said. I'd think the head would be the
best direct return path for the spark plugs electrical current. And the
strap beign just about straight, it would make a low impedence ground.
Important for high voltage/high frequency grounds (frequency actually low on
a car motor).

The hood grounding strap would help with parasistic noise from the spark
plugs. And I'd guess it would help with rust issues. Any Chemist out there?
My first Scirocco , 1982, had a brooken hood ground strap, and both front
clamp thingy holding the hood close were rusted out all around them. My
theory. ;-)

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco