Insurance people ....rant

T,

Not sure about Michigan law, so this may be different up there. Hope it
helps.  This happened in South Carolina, so I am sure some laws will be
different.

I had a car of mine hit that was unoccupied (sitting legally on the street
in front of a residence.) The other driver was clearly at fault. When his
insurance company began giving me the same B.S. I started digging into South
Carolina Vehicle law.  I discovered the statute that covers incidents just
like mine and copied it.  I then found cases that supported my thoughts as
to how it should be handled. (It took me about two weeks total to get
everything together.)  State law required the at fault to bring the vehicle
back to pre accident condition or to find an equal replacement that was
satisfactory to the claimant. The cool thing was that I found several cases
where the claimant was awarded monetary damages for loss of value as once
the vehicle had been damaged the value was now affected and this was covered
in the "pre accident condition."

The insurance company began jerking me around from the first day.  I had a
four door mid size sedan that their client put the trunk into the back seat.
For a rental vehicle they tried to get me into a geo metro (not kidding.) I
was in sales at the time and there was no way I was going to show up to
sales calls in a metro.  Pushed the issue and called my insurance company
who gave me the proper law to state to them.  I was driving that afternoon
in a full size sedan all on their bill.  Next they tried to force me to
total the car. That is when I started digging into law and precedent to find
out what I was entitled to.

I got three quotes from independent body shops and submitted them along with
documents from Kelly Blue book that showed the amount of depreciation I had
lost due to the accident once the car was repaired as well as copies of all
the law and cases I had researched.

After eight weeks of giving me the run around on everything, I was called to
the company's office in the state after we had reached a settlement that was
to my liking.  They paid all the rental bills, travel expenses (Gas and
hotel and a per diem for the days needed out of town, my car was hit in
South Carolina and I lived in North Carolina at the time,) the average of
all three repair estimates as well as for the depreciation that I had
sustained as a loss on the vehicle due to the accident.

Stick to your guns, Bro.  Don't let them push you around.  Do some research
into the state laws and document everything you find.  The law is your
friend. It is there to protect you, but you have to know what it says.

Dave

David Winchell, II
84 Scirocco BBS Turbo
79 Callaway Scirocco