Is the 1.8 16V really 1800 cc or is it a little less?

I'm sorry, but it looks like you're going to have to really search for a motor for that class, probably in Europe.  Also WVW means W:Europe, V:Volkswagen, W:Passenger Car.  The exact location of the manufacturer is the eleventh digit as shown on this site.  1VW is almost always somewhere in Pennsylvania and 3VW is Mexico either Puebla or I think there's another assembly plant also.  I haven't been keeping up with things lately but when I was paying attention all the motors were still built in Germany then shipped to their respective assembly plants so don't lose heart if you have a car from PA or Mexico.  Luckily all of mine have been WVW or WAU and though you might think that "U" is for Audi like I used to, I think it's actually for "Saloon" or "Full size Sedan".  Actually it had nothing to do with Luck, I looked for it, and I don't know if any Scirocco's were ever built anywhere that wasn't Germany.  Apparently mine was built in Osnabruck denoted by the K just before the Sequential or Serial number.

VIN details:
http://www.gakmotorsports.com/vininfo.htm

VIN decoder:
http://s87762315.onlinehome.us/vin.php?site=vw