From: Mike Smith [mailto:smithma7@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 10:00 PM
To: car
Subject: OT: I love my momma!

The story:

Last month:  My mom helped my brother buy an '03 Lexus.  He needed a
new car. I understood.  When he sees it, my 11 yr-old nephew says
"It's cooler than your car, Mike."  I wanted to smack that little
putz, but he ran away too fast.

Last week:  My mom mentions she has a new-to-her convertable.  "What
kind?" I ask.  "An '03 Solara.  I've lusted after these since they
came out."  I tell her "Welcome to my world with the Scirocco.  You'll
know you have a problem when start driving out of state to hang out
with other Solara owners."  She says "That won't happen.  And by the
way, I haven't bought your sister a car."  Meaning "Don't think that
I'm going around buying everyone cars."

This weekend: My mom sells quilting supplies and she was working a
quilt show 30 min N of me so she was staying with us.  Monday being my
birthday, she decided that after we packed her stuff in her van this
afternoon (Sunday), she would take us out to dinner to celebrate.  My
brother was also coming up to help pack things up and to join us for
dinner.

While he's driving up here, I call and ask him if I can drive his
Lexus from the show back to our house.  He says "Sure."  My wife and I
arrive and he's already there and we spend about 40 minutes getting
everything packed up.  As we walk outside, I look in the direction
that my brother says he parked and I see a nice car I want to drive,
but not his Lexus.  "Must be around the corner," thinks I.

I say "Wow, I'd almost rather drive that car instead of yours."  My
brother replies "Oh yeah?" and tosses me his keys.  I look in my hand
and notice that these keys match the car I was ogling.  I say "This is
yours? Where's the Lexus?"  "I crashed it."

Knowing my brother and his history with cell phones and a certain
totaled Prelude, I bought it hook, line and sinker with no question in
my mind about the veracity of his statement.  As I start walking
towards the car with a bemused smile on my face, my wife says "You
know, you should thank your mother."  It didn't register.  I mean,
hey, I get to drive this cool car my brother just got.  At that point,
something started to trickle through my head.  I stopped and looked at
my mom.  She had a weird smile on her face.

At this point, I'm told that I first turned white, then red, then
started to tear up.  It was at this point that I realized that I was
going to be updating my sig.

I really, really, REALLY love my momma!

--
Mike
'86 red 16v: Red 5 (aka der Jahrtausendfeierfalke)