OT:VW Toureg Pulls B747

You're both wrong, let's talk politics!

LEF <rocco16@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

That would solely depend on the race, wouldn't it? Like a tractor-pull? They depend on torque to save the day, not hp. And to fit within your so far narrow rules, those are sanctioned. Sactioned they are, races they are not. That's why they're called tractor PULLS and not tractor RACES. Races are determined by who gets to the finish first, not who pulls the most weight.

More correctly, you won't win many races with steam engines. That's because they don't make any horsepower, they make lots of torque. :) (You just proved my point.) TDIs on the other hand, as Cathy has mentioned, can and do win races. Otherwise, Audi would not see fit to build their open-cockpit racers with a badass TDI. And the TDIs are masters of -torque-. And torque x rpm = horsepower. (That's the relationship I was referring to.) No car wins races on torque alone...you have to combine it with rpm, thereby coming up with "horsepower".

The issue here isn't whether diesels are fast or slow, the issue is whether high torque or high horsepower is required to prevail in a speed contest. Answer: horsepower. Ask any racer. You can bet those fine Audi diesels made plenty of HP....

Two cars equal in all respects except power characteristics. Car A's engine makes 500ft/lbs at a maximum of 2000 rpm. Car B makes 400ft/lbs at 6500 rpm. Which car will be faster AND quicker in the quarter? I don't even need to give you a clue, do I... :)

larry

sandiego16v