OT:VW Toureg Pulls B747

  _____

From: LEF [mailto:rocco16@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 8:41 PM
To: David Utley; 'Drew Mac'; 'Scirocco-l'
Subject: Re: OT:VW Toureg Pulls B747

On city streets??   That was not a race at all, that was just driving fast.

No.  It was a race.  An -Illegal- race, but still a race.  A race is a
contest by two or more individuals who both agree on the rules seth forth.
Look here.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/race

Races are held on tracks, with classes/rules that must be adhered to.

You are describing 'sanctioned racing', which is not the same thing I was
speaking of.

The winner of a race is determined by many things....horsepower, not torque,
is one of them.

Perhaps this would be more likely in a sanctioned race.  But wait a minute;
a race is determined by many things, but torque is not one of them?  That
seems askew.  That would solely depend on the race, wouldn't it?  Like a
tractor-pull?  They depend on torque to save the day, not hp.  And to fit
within your so far narrow rules, those are sanctioned.

"Torque wins races" is quoted (erroneously, I might add) by the person whose
car is lacking horsepower.  :)

Don't get personal, or I'll call you out onto the playground after lunch.
:-P

Are you aware of the relationship between torque and horsepower?

Not explicitly, but that would changing the topic slightly, wouldn't it?

As an example: Steam engines develop maximum torque at zero rpm.

You won't win many races with your engine turning zero rpm....

More correctly, you won't win many races with steam engines.  TDIs on the
other hand, as Cathy has mentioned, can and do win races.  Otherwise, Audi
would not see fit to build their open-cockpit racers with a badass TDI.  And
the TDIs are masters of -torque-.

David

When the TDI Touareg came out, the owner of the dealership drove one while a
mechanic took out his GTI 1.8T 180 hp.  The race was on city streets.

With that clue, which one won the race?