Engine Tapping Noise :(

On 11/14/06, Allyn <amalventano1@tds.net> wrote:
> I've personally experienced piston slap, and although it was not on a vw, it was a similar engine (Buick Skyhawk 1.8l).
> I miss that Skyhawk.  It was the sole reason for my learning to work on cars - as every week it threw a new curveball at me.  It was
> my first car, and 2 days after getting it, the starter fell out (i.e. on the ground).  That set the tone of things to come over the
> next year :) .

Funny you should mention a Skyhawk!  I can also attribute one to being
one of the first influences on my passion for all things automotive.
I was 14 years old, and it was my first car - given to me for free
since it didn't run and was falling apart.  I got it running and used
it as a field car for two years (I was 14 at the time).  I learned to
wrench, problem solve, and drive rally style and had a great time with
it.  It was even profitable - I ended up selling the engine for $200
after freshening it up in autoshop class in highschool!

Later,

Mark.
75
82