Engine Tapping Noise :(

So, I've got a loud tapping noise apparently coming from the exhaust valve area of my number 3 cylinder.  It started out as a slight tap above 3krpm but rapidly changed to a constant loud tapping noise.

Obviously the head has to come off.  What parts are likely to have been damaged and need replacement?  Is the head itself damaged by this?

Also, what parts would you normally replace when rebuilding a head with no known problems?  I'm not asking for a list of gaskets - do you replace valve springs? hydraulic lifters? valve guides?

I'm dealing with heads from PL and 9A 16v's.

Thanks.

Brian

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.