16v susupension travel?

I've been fiddling slightly with front suspension stuff, too.  Measuring the gaps between coils on my H&R springs, I found that, when installed on an unladen strut, it has about 6.2" in it before it bottoms out.  I had a stock MK1 strut on hand, and it travels 6.1" before the strut bottoms out.  I say about because they were quick, rough measurements, but the picture I'm getting is that they bottom out at about the same time.

Measuring an early (domed) and late upper strut bearing shows that, from their "no load" positions, the early bearing would let the top of the strut sit 0.2" further extended for a given spring loading, so the spring, in my case, would bottom out before the strut does, using an early upper bearing.

I don't know which bearing flexes more in use yet, but it looks like the early one might flex more, softening the bottoming out, perhaps?  Lots of conjecture on that part, so far.

I'm  considering using our tensile tester at work to test spring bottoming and maybe upper strut bearing stiffness, just for the heck of it.  Too busy this week.

So somebody get me caught up on the A2 strut possibilities, please.  What is different about them?

BH

BH