Flushing a transaxle?

Is there any good way to flush out the crud that has accumulated in a
transaxle?  My replacement was missing a drive flange and didn't have
anything plugging the speedo hole so I'm thinking some dirt may have gotten
inside. Also when I pulled the cap off the throwout bearing there was some
crud inside there but I'm thinking there probably is more inside further.  I
was thinking of maybe putting some ATF in there and start it up on stands
and let it spin in each gear for a min just to break stuff up then drain it
and refill with Redline MTF. Anyone see a problem with this?

Andy