Help getting my car to run

I have finally decided that me staring at the engine is NOT going to make it
miraculously run.  So, I need help, as my only car experience is changing a
tire, the oil and an air filter.  Here is what I know:

The 1982 Scirocco came to me not running.  The previous owner says it has
good compression, fire (new spark plugs), fuel spray, basically everything
that it takes to make it start.  I figured out the new battery had died.  I
have charged the battery.  The car will still not start.  It tries, but it
just can't turn over.  I have disconnected the battery so it will not be
drained again, until I have an idea of what killed the battery in the first
place (the car has not been driven since the battery was installed by the
previous owner).

So, HELP!  How do I know if the starter is bad?  What else could be wrong?

I appreciate any ideas and tips from all you guys, as I really want to fix
this car up myself (no mechanic or garage).

Thanks!!!
Lexan

Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and more?then map the best
route!  http://local.live.com?FORM=MGA001