16v susupension travel?

My thought is that the new springs should NOT almost completely compressed (coil-bound).  If they are, then cutting the bumpstops will gain nothing, since it is not that you are hitting the stops, but that you are coil-binding the springs.
  What is more likely the problem is that you mean the strut is almost bottomed out (I doubt that the springs are almost compressed completely unless you've swapped in an iron big-block Ford), in which case cutting the stops will gain a fraction of an inch in travel.  Even this scenario seems odd, though.
  Other possibility is this: lowering springs are usually of significantly higher spring rate than the stock springs they replace.  This will result in a noticeably 'bouncier' ride, ESPECIALLY IF YOU DO NOT INSTALL COMMENSURATELY HIGHER-RATE DAMPERS.
By the way, the term "jounce" means suspension compression, as opposed to "rebound", which is suspension extension....so when you say it just "jounces", you are saying that you DO HAVE travel.
  TIP to those handy with welders and hacksaws: You can inexpensively lower the front of the Scirocco by cutting the lower spring pad off the strut body, lowering it an inch, and rewelding it.  This allows you to use the stock springs and the stock damper cartridges for a good ride and supple handling.  You have to tilt the bad a little to clear the tire, but the results are quite satisfactory.  I did this about three years ago and have been quite satisfied with the results.

larry
sandiego16v

  I installed a set of A2 lowering springs (Neuspeed/H&R) on my '88 a
  while back, and installed a new pair of Spax struts up front.  While its
  very stiff, it seems like I'm not getting any damping on the front at
  all, it just bounces and jounces.  The rear feels okay, stiff but nice
  and damped (still have the old Boges on the rear).

  What I'm wondering is:  Could I be riding on my bump stops up front?  In
  the proper application (A2 Golf/Jetta), the springs have a drop of about
  1.5 inches, and looking under the fender (which is tough, there's not
  much room to look up there anymore), the springs seem compressed almost
  completely.  Did I take out all my travel?  Should/could I cut my bump
  stops to gain some travel?