  From: C Boyko
  To: Daun Yeagley
  Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 04:57 AM
  Subject: OT: Vetran's Day/ Poppies

  I'd been talking to one of the US lister's about Remembrance day and why it
  is that Canadians wear poppies to remember those who served. Sadly, the
  numbers of WWII Vetrans are quickly dwindling, and WWI vets are no longer
  present at our ceremonies of Remembrance. This poem was written by a
  Canadian field surgeon, Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae MD, who had spent 17
  days patching up the injured at Ypres, and exhausted, sat down and wrote
  this poem. It has become part of the Canadian national fabric, and is the
  reason we as Canadians wear a poppy as a symbol of respect and remembrance.

  In Flander's Fields

  In Flander's fields the poppies blow
  Between the crosses row on row,
  That mark our place; and in the sky