o2 system testing

No, not going to be at Cincy.  But the offer is much appreciated!

That's strange about the control unit location ... I guess the Bentley is
just a little vague about it.  Although I looked it up on the
bentleypublisher site and mine doesn't seem 544 pages ... I'll have to check
my edition, maybe I have a very early one ... it's very pitiful compared to
the Bentleys I have for my GTI VR6 and an old Rabbit I had.

I need to check my facts now.  I wish I had my Bentley in front of me, but I
could SWEAR that it says that the normal range at idle should be around 74
(dwell) and the range the graphic you linked shows as good the Bentley calls
"limp home."  The information you gave me lines up more with my results.  I
was hitting 28-35 at idle which would just indicate I need a smaller
adjustment, which seems good news to me.  I don't have a dwell meter like
yours, I have a digital multimeter that can measure dwell.  I had it hooked
up to the loose connector near the coil.  Actually, per the Bentley I had
the positive hooked to the blue/white wire and the negative grounded to the
engine block.

I think my o2 sensor is new, but now I can't remember whether I'm thinking
of the Scirocco or the previous Rabbit. :-)

If you don't mind, can someone look up the dwell specs in the back of the
exhaust section in their Bentley so I can have something to verify mine
against?

Thanks again,
matt.