From: "Timbo" <timjmcconnell@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 7:57 AM
Subject: Megasquirt: The ultimate MPG booster!!

Most people upgrade to MS for power reasons. Power is nice, and I
definitely have a lot LOT more of it now. BUT - I got an even better
bonus!!

Remember - this engine just passed 206,100!! It's a JH - 1.8 8v. Still
has the regular vacuum advance distributor.

My baseline MPG was 28.2MPG - doing mixed city/highway. I go really
easy on the car most of the time. I drive in 5th most of the time in
town. It's a 4K transmission.

Well - I'm on my second tank of gas now, clocked in 540 miles so far.

The first tank involved a lot of things like tuning, showing off the
power, seafoaming, and a whole lot of idling, But I still managed
31.5MPG - which is a pretty damn good improvement!! Wouldn't you say?

Driving back from Baltimore from Neptuno's on I-95 however today was
INSANE!!! I got gas in Baltimore... Har har har. Actually - I siphoned
gas from Peter's parts/donor scirocco at Neptuno's house! Free gas!!!
Filled my tank all the way up too! that parts car was a late 84, so it
had the big 12 gallon tank.

My car had more than 3/4 tank after the trip back from Baltimore up to
north Philly here. I filled it up at the gas station to see the
mileage. The trip is 120 miles. Usually I am about 1/3 tank gone at
100miles- but this is highway driving only - average speed I would say
is 75-77 MPH.

So - ~120 miles / 2.8 gallons at the station = 42.1 MPG!!! HOLY CRAP!!

Now - I expected a SMALL mileage increase. BUT THIS IS SICK!! wtf? I
didn't even tune it!!

As far as needed tuning - I need to change my cold start enrichment a
bit - it takes a bit to start in the mornings. Also - sometimes when I
first press the gas - it hesitates a little bit - but only when the
accel_enrich light is on. The o2 sensor goes way rich when that
happens - so I think my acceleration enrichment is too rich for the
car.

The only problem is the megasquirt fuel pump circuit is not working. I
have to do some actual PCB testing on it - but the resistor and the
diode on that circuit are just fine. Weird problem, I think.

--
Timbo!
Location: Glenside, PA!