another mars red mki (cabby), rear strut rust, bad gas, & 'lectrical gremlin

   finally got the gf into an a1 (she likes the scirocco but won't
publicly admit it). found a fair mars red cabby that needs a little
work. the previous owners installed a cheap aftermarket cruise control
on it which caused water to leak on the fuse block and, well, melt it.
replaced the block and the car still won't start. thought i could feel
the main pump kick on, but i can't hear it and think it's most likely
hosed. the gas smells old (a full tank of it!), but would that prevent
it from starting or simply cause it to run like crap?
   also due to the cruise control, the instrument does not work. i'm
thinking something might just be unplugged, but was curious if anyone
else has run into this.
   probably the most disturbing thing was when we were cleaning it up we
found strut tower rust on the right rear. i've never heard of this on an
a1, but with it being a convertible.... i hate to think that it's a lost
cause, but can it be fixed? anyone parting out a1 sheetmetal? other than
that, it's not terribly bad.
   any help or information would be greatly appreciated by the both of
us. thanx.

--
  /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
< o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com