adjusting a completely rebuilt linkage?

Sooo....... I installed a USRT shift linkage in my car (instead of ball and
socket, it is all heim joints).
this means that i had every single piece of the linkage out of my car. When
i dropped the car back to the floor, i was able to back out of teh garage,
but first was hard to find.
once i got into teh street, i found first, and drove a few blocks, when i
went to tunr around, reverse was gone.

second.

i went through the alignment procedure many many times (tape case alignment
tool and all)......and i still cant get it right.

any tips hints or suggestiosn from the masters???

thanks

-
Jason 87 16V