Q: Spark Plug gap (second try for cantankerous server)

Now I know that the Bosch coppers come pre-gapped (.036)  The latest
copper plug ID is WR7DC.

The Bentley, venerable and out of date as it is, calls for the plugs
w/ IDs of WR7DS or W7DTC.  I will assume the current one has
superceded these IDs.

Here's the thing - the Bentley calls for a .028 gap on those old
plugs.  The new ones are gapped at .036, which is a considerable
difference.

Should I run with the pre-gap and be done with it?  Have they
lengthened the gap because electrode materials may have become more
durable?  I'd like to think so.

Gotta do the Mk1 and Mk2 ignition stuff today, and I'd like to set it
just right.

Thanks, and happy wrenching to all this Saturday.