Wipers activated means fuel pump engaging??

You have a Mk1.  An '81, perhaps?  They have magic gremlins in 'em, they
do.  Mine?  After I shut off the car, I need to run my wipers to turn
off my blower fan.
Seems wipers have a multitude of uses!  Fan shut off, fuel pump power,
maybe wiping the windshield....

Check your fuse block, that's where you'll find the problem.  Do/did you
have a leaky windshield seal?

Nate
'81
'88