Bouncing tach- what gives?

Ok, so now the car is running.  It shakes a bit, but that probably is because
the vwms rear mount which I needed since I am not running a flex joint in the
downpipe.  At about 3k is quite smooth, but around 4k the tach starts
bouncing.
Any thoughts here?
She's blowing some blue smoke which has me concerned, but I'll keep a close
watch on it.  Hopefully it's something small like valve guide seals.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

''98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 16V
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic, 4 speed.- In the Rotisserie and under
restoration
'89 Polaris Indy Deluxe