(OT) Jetta coolant: where is it going?

Does the heat work? Maybe it is still low on coolant.
John
----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Pallett" <greg.rocco@gmail.com>
To: "Scirocco list" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 7:35 PM
Subject: (OT) Jetta coolant: where is it going?

*The car:* 91 Jetta Carat with 200k original motor, never opened up.

*The symptoms:* WHen I bought the car I didn't check the coolant level. The
car basically sat for 2 months while I got it fixed up for MD registration.
While pokign around under the hood I noticed it was low on coolant, so I
added some to bring it back to th elevel in the overflow bottle. After
registering it yesterday (yippie!) and putting about 100 miles on it just
driving around, this evening drove off the coolant light was flashing. Pop
thehood, no coolant in the overflow bottle. Nothing on the ground or
dripping under the hood when I parked it.

*Other considerations:* New T-stat, waterpump and heatercore since I bought
it. The oil is clean, not foamy.  There was *once* white smoke when I
started it after it had sat a few days, but not again since then.  The
system seems to be pressurizing; when I opened the coolant resivoir I could
hear the pressure letting off.

I'm afraid of the answer. The car dosen't run hot, but have I blown a
headgasket?

--
Aronsons First Law
People who do crazy things are not necessarily crazy