Sealed beam question

On 1:07:44 am 03/30/06 "Mtl-Marc" <marc_scirocco@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Is this what you need?
> <<http://store.racinglab.com/kyoplheduwih4.html>>
>
> As for the actual pinout, I don't know. I can check the '83 in the
> garage this weekend. It has the above harness for the H4s.
>
> Check continuity with an Ohm meter. Find the two pins with the highest
> reading. The 3rd pin will be your ground.
>
> For high/low, well, if you have a 55/60 bulb, then you ought to have
> different Ohms reading from the ground to either pins.
>
> 55W pin should be the one with the highest reading of them both. At
> 12V, the highest resistance (Ohms) filament will flow less curent,
> hence less Watts. And vice-versa. But I suspect you will need a very
> precise Ohm meter to mesure it.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Marc
> '83 Scirocco
> '97 A4 Q
> '71 H-D FLH

Yeah, I actually went a different way, and double checked the original
plug, which still has the brown wire attached. I'm pretty sure I have high
and ground reversed, but will have to undo some cable ties to check. I
doubt I'll get a grest degree of accuracy on the resistance because the
lamps are old/spades are not perfect. (See, and I'd have thought the higher
resistance would heat the filament more and therefore be the high beam!)

Thanks eh? No idea why this one's being such a pain. Never had a problem
before.
cathy