Euro instrument cluster work in my 82?

On 3/21/06, Mark F. <mardak@gmail.com> wrote:

> Will this 260khp euro gauge cluster work in my 82 without mods?
>
> <http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/eurocluster.jpg>

I can't speak from experience but 82's may have had different electrical
connectors into the instrument cluster than later Mk2's (which share the
same dual 14 pin connectors used on pre central-electric A2 chassis cars.)

Having said that, there wouldn't be much involved in switching over to the
newer style cluster provided you had the housings to go with the connectors
- maybe pigtails too, just in case the 82 wiring connectors are different.
These would be pretty easy to come by (donor vehicles would be later
Sciroccos, or pre 88.5 A2's)

The only caveat you might run into is that the 82's oil pressure warning
system sensors and wiring may not be compatible with the later cluster, but
that's easily remedied by swapping out (and possibly adding) sensors.

Drew

--
84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD     http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd
77 Scirocco project - Boom Boom Boom...